Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

The Possibilities

Blogs come and blogs go and for some (me included) a catchy title can almost mean more than the drivel that is typed on this public diary/journal of sorts. Who wants to hear me blather...well, I know of one person at least...He is Me. If I didn't want to hear myself blather, I wouldn't have this blog and I wouldn't post to it.
Which brings me to the point of this particular entry. More explanation of the silly (but hopefully catchy) blog name above. I came across it through the writings of Thomas Boston (Scottish Presbyterian) go here to read more: http://www.thomasboston.net/Bio/who.htm
Boston wrote a great book (get it if you don't yet own it...you can order it here: http://tinyurl.com/chu3m ) it is called "Human Nature in its four fold state".
These four states can be summarized using Latin phrases. The first state is Adam in the Garden prior to the fall. It is Posse Peccare/Posse Non Peccare, which means Able to Sin/Able Not to Sin.
After the Fall Adam and all those decended from him by natural means became Non Posse Non Peccare: No Able Not to Sin. This is the fancy way of saying Total Depravity. All our actions including our most righteous ones are tainted with sin and filthy rags in God's sight. In fact the Puritans said that even our good deeds done apart from and outside of Christ are nothing more than beautiful sins.
After redemption then we are restored to that first state of Posse Peccare/Posse Non Peccare. Which we all know about and have amply illustrated in Romans chapter 7. The good that I want to do, I don't do; and the Evil that I hate, that I do. Wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through our Lord Jesus Christ! We obey and we sin. We struggle and we war, sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. Hopefully through the Powerful work of the Holy Spirit within us we find our obedience growing and our sins being put to death.
Our final state is Non Posse Peccare: Not Able to Sin. This is the state of glory when we are confirmed in Holiness and comformed to the image of Christ, for when we see him, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as he is! I really long for this day! I can't wait to be Non Posse Peccare...not able to sin!
Well, with these four phrases basically spelled out, I suppose I could create four different blogs, each based on one of the four phrases. But that does pose a problem, becuase if we take each state and plug in "Blog" for "Sin" or Bloggare for Peccare then we are left with at least one contradiction...the Non Posse Bloggare option would be Not able to blog...which if taken strictly would be self referentially incoherent if I went ahead and blogged (I mean, think about it, a blog called not able or having no ability to blog?! dude!) But if taken, not as an absolute statement of ability but as a relative statement of proficiency, then the lameness of my writing could attest to the fact that I really can't blog, because I do such a poor job. Some of you after reading a few of these posts may agree!
I decided to pick the name that leaves it an either/or distinction because I hope to make a few good contributions to blogdom, but know that I will miss more than I hit probably. So Able to Blog and Able Not to Blog fits. If taken in either its absolute or relative meaning.
Anyway, I hope that the rationale and explanation for the name of this blog has made some sense. If not, post a comment and take me to task.
Remember, though the lameness and content are mine, I was inspired by Phil Johnson over at PYROMANIAC (http://phillipjohnson.blogspot.com/) . It inspired at least the name if not part of the concept for this blog. Don't blame him, but do read his blog and his other sites (urls listed in another entry called "Let's Play the Links".) Perhaps this blog will create a taste, a desire for something with real substance and can be used as a catalyst to get folks to read Phil's Blog. I sure hope so, I know I have truly enjoyed it and I think others will too.
Blog-on!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?